Tuesday, August 24, 2010

When a parent is sick, how do you deal with your kids?

Right now I'm sick as a dog. And I'm futzing on the computer as a way to distract myself. What do you other parents do with your kids when you're sick and they're not?When a parent is sick, how do you deal with your kids?
I'm fortunate to have a network of friends and family to help out, but if I can't find anyone to watch my boys I set them up with movies and video games. Since I suffer from migraines, my children are pretty considerate when I don't feel well and will usually not bother me too much.When a parent is sick, how do you deal with your kids?
well my kids are older now at 15, 15, 12 and 9 and they can pretty much take care of themselves. They are really good to me when I am sick.





When they were little it was really difficult, I did as much as I absolutely had to and that was it. Sometimes they would watch more Tv than usual and luckily they've always had each other. My first born were twins so they have always had each other to play with. I remember sometimes giving cereal with milk to eat because I was too sick to cook. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get better sometimes.
There is no other parent in my home...it's just my 7yo daughter and I. I do not get sick often, but when I do I explain to my daughter that I am not feeling well, and she steps right up and fends for herself. She makes her own self food, and entertains herself quietly. She even takes care of ME by bringing me food and iced tea, and bringing in her doctor kit to take my temp, listen to my heart and gives me pretend meds. I explain to her that she has a great empathetic personality and that she would make an excellent nurse or doctor! She does the house lock-down at night and makes sure all the dishes are in the sink. We make a game out of being sick...she gets a kick out of it, AND it sure does take the pressure off of me.
When my pneumonia was full blown for 2 weeks (I'm just getting over this cough too, finally!), basically I ordered pizza or chinese for them each night that husband had to work late. Movies on Demand was a life saver. It might have racked up a bill, but it kept them occupied while I lied on the couch.


I also took my time getting things done. If I got the dishes done in the morning, I might fold some laundry in the afternoon and call it a day (when I'm that sick).





Hope you feel better soon.
wow that hard but i try to put a movie on for my 2 year old give her some food n lay down its hard cus she asks for a lot of attention but i just give her intructions of what to do before i lay down i tell her if she has to go to the bathroom to just go i put out some toilet paper for her so she wont make a mess and i show her how to wash her hands but i have to repeat n repeat on everything!! or sometimes i try to just watch movies with her make her lay down next to me till shes calm n maybe falls asleep with me
Suck it up, tell myself that I'm not that sick, and try to keep the kids out of my face to help reduce the chance of them getting sick.
Suck it up. I'll admit we watch more tv than when I'm healthy...but sick or not, we still have to eat, they still need to be tended to, laundry still needs washing.





My husband however, will collapse on the couch and moan...
I get over my sickness and just deal with life. The world doesn't stop when I am sick.





Make the kids a snack, pop in a DVD, and sleep on the couch while the kids watch the movie.
I set my 9 year old son up with his fav movies and make a coral out of couch cushions for my 1 year old. I lay on the floor in a coma and hope they both stay put.
My sister dumps her daughter on me. =]





^^^


Note the smiley face. I love my niece.





Maybe play board games or cards, or even watching a movie??





Or play charades -- you're permanent judge. Laughter is the best medicine
My daughter is pretty good at amusing herself, and can read a good book or sometimes she watches DVDs while mommy sleeps. I usually only have to get up to feed her.
I don't need to do anything. He's 12 years old, so he only comes near me when he wants fed or wants money.
Grandmas house For the win

No comments:

Post a Comment